*HomeGymUnlimited helps consumers find the best home fitness products. When you buy a product we recommend, we may earn a commission.
Tonal and Mirror are both great fitness mirrors for your home gym. They have some significant differences you should be aware of before buying.
We have chosen to compare the basic packages, excluding add-on devices.
As a personal trainer, I understand that a smart fitness mirror is a significant investment in your home gym. That is why I have tried to be as detailed as possible with the features that these two brands offer.
Mirror.co offers the most versatile smart mirror. With an extensive array of cardio and strength classes and personalized programs. Plus a thriving online community and raving fans.
After further research, I have found that Mirror is excellent for strength training and cardio training at all levels.
Tonal is also good. Especially when you consider yourself a competitive, analytical person. And also when you want to focus on heavier strength training.
When choosing between the two wall-mounted devices, consider which one fits your style and motivates you to get moving.
Let’s start with the Tonal vs. Mirror review.
Table of Contents
- Features Tonal Vs. Mirror
- Tonal vs. Mirror: The Winner
- Which Fitness Mirror is best for YOU?
- FAQ about Tonal vs. Mirror
- What to do next?
Features Tonal Vs. Mirror
|Dimensions||50.9 x 21.5 x 5.25 in||52.6 x 21.1 x 1.7 in|
|Screen Size||24 in||43 in|
|Product Weight||150 lbs||70 lbs|
|Power Requirement||Corded Electric||Corded Electric|
|Warranty||1 year for parts and labor|
2 additional years parts
30-day free trial
30-day free trial
(requires additional cost)
|• Triceps rope|
• Workout bench
• Exercise mat
• Foam roller
• Smart bar
• Smart handles
|• 2 MIRROR Heart |
• 2 MIRROR Fitness
• 2 Pairs of MIRROR Weights
• 2 lululemon
The Reversible Mats
• 2 lululemon
Loop It Up Mat Straps
• 2 lululemon Lift &
Lengthen Yoga Blocks
• 2 lululemon Workout Towels
• 1 lululemon Double Foam Roller Mini
Note: Tonal has a collapsible workout arms built into the console. You can use the workout arms for various exercises: bench press, deadlift, pushing, pulling, squats—anything you need.
Both brands take no floor space, since they are wall-mounted. Tonal and the Mirror are roughly the same length and width. But, upon closer inspection, Tonal is larger, thicker, and heavier.
Tonal takes more space, especially when you pull the workout arms down. Remove all pieces of furniture surrounding it, as you need enough space for your workout station.
It weighs 150 lbs, which is why the product is delivered and installed by trained professionals. It is hard to do the heavy-weight lifting alone, especially on an expensive equipment.
The Mirror, like the name suggests, looks like a mirror, especially when it is off. It has a sleek and classy look, which fits well anywhere in your home.
Setting your Mirror up will go smoothly, as it only weighs 70 lbs. You will also need help installing it. You can mount it to your wall or put it on an optional mirror stand, so that you can move it anywhere you like.
Winner Dimension Comparison
This one will have to be a draw, as it all comes down to preference. If you are only interested in a fitness mirror, then go for Mirror. But, if the collapsible workout arms interest you, then go for Tonal.
The Tonal has a 24-inch screen display to show your progress and workout activities. The console also includes a built-in webcam, mic, and speakers and uses Bluetooth and a WiFi connection.
Tonal offers the following features on their console:
- Digital Weight System – It has a digital weight system and delivers 200 pounds of resistance using magnets and electricity. This weight system intuitively adapts to you in real-time.
- Adaptive Weight – Get more out of your workout without setting up your metal weights. Tonal eliminates inertia to provide you resistance throughout your reps. So you’ll get more efficient and effective training.
- Adjustable arms – Adjusting the arms lets you set up any exercise. You can do a bench press or a deadlift. You can also move them up, down, and rotate them for a complete full-body workout.
- Touchscreen Display – Work out with a coach on a 24-inch interactive screen and feel like you’re in the gym.
- Sweat to the Beat – Tonal connects via Bluetooth to music streaming services like Apple and Amazon Music.
How to track your progress with Tonal:
- Strength Score – Your Strength Score shows how strong you are by muscle group and body region. To assess your strength score, you need to complete Your First Tonal Workout. You must complete a series of exercises, then Tonal sets a personalized workout setting for you.
- Mobile App – You can view your progress stats and streaks. Use the mobile app to explore new workouts and plan them.
- Metrics – See where you have opportunities to get stronger by tracking your stats during your workout, like your heart rate and the total weight lifted.
- Workout Recap – See how you’ve progressed every workout with detailed stats like time under tension and total pounds lifted.
- Program Summary – Compare your performance week by week, from strength gains to achievements, all laid out easily.
- Personal Records – Hit all-time highs in your workouts and celebrate your growing strength by increasing your weights.
- Achievements – Get rewarded with badges for every breakthrough in your fitness journey.
- Leaderboard – Your leaderboard shows you how you stack up against the competition.
The Tonal data transfer is fast and accurate, because the workout bars are built-in into the console.
Mirror’s 43-in screen only shows what’s currently happening as you work out. Your access to workout data is minimal, because you need to buy their ‘smart weights’ accessory first.
For Tonal, the built-in digital weights system provides more workout and data for progress tracking.
Mirror’s console offers the following features:
- Camera – Get live feedback from instructors, or see your friends during workouts with the 5-megapixel front-facing camera.
- Fitness Library – Search your library of exercises to find what you love to do.
- Display – 43″ of full HD 1080p viewing pleasure—never miss a thing when you train.
- Sound System – Get a full studio effect with a 4 x 15W high-fidelity speaker system with six drivers and an omnidirectional microphone.
- Mirror Music – Workout playlists to match every mood, or play your favorites from Apple Music.
How to track your progress with Mirror:
- Metrics – Pair your Mirror with your heart rate monitor or smartwatch to track your metrics on the screen. It shows your time remaining, time improvement, class score, calories, training quality, and workout video recommendations.
- Health Score – Track your progress and your health score over time.
The Mirror is easier to use than Tonal, because it is easier to set up. However, Tonal offers more workout data than Mirror.
Winner Console Layout Comparison
Mirror is the winner, when it comes to ease of urs. Tonal is the winner, because it gives you more detailed workout data.
Tonal is a compact workout device used for a full-body workout, saving space in your home. You can get thousands of full-body exercises right here, with a coach at your side every step of the way.
The live and on-demand workout covers the following training:
- Strength Training
- High-Intensity Workout
- Dance Cardio
- Pilates Barre
- Pre + Post Natal
- Sport Performance
- Family Fun
- Boot camp
Tonal offers the following workout types:
- Guided Workout – Offers AI-powered workouts that adjust to help you reach your goals. Choose from programs like Four Weeks to Fat Loss, Lean Muscle Mastery, and more!
- Custom Workouts – Choose your moves, sets, reps, and even dynamic weight modes.
- Group Training
- Tonal Live – Get your heart pumping with live classes alongside other members of the Tonal community.
- Partner Workout – Work out with a partner and double the motivation by competing to see who can get the most reps. Tonal adjusts the weight when you switch off moves and keeps track of your reps and results for any workout you do with your partner.
- Virtual Group Workout – Get fit with friends, no matter where they are. It’s like working out together on the same Tonal; you can even give each other high-fives for motivation.
Choose from over 10,000 classes across 50 categories, including yoga and strength training. Workout programs are available for every goal, and world-class trainers will guide you.
Mirrors offer workout classes with the following topics:
- Boot camp
- Dance Cardio
- Strength: Total Body
- Yoga Flow
- Family Fun
- Arms + Abs
- Restorative Yoga
Mirrors offer the following workout programs:
- Live Classes – Your workout classes provide new and exciting ways to challenge your body each day. You can get live feedback from your coaches.
- Personalized Weekly Programs – Curated programs to provide inspiration and a roadmap for achieving your goals.
- One-on-one – You can deepen your learning experience with immersive 1-on-1 training, bringing top trainers into your home.
- Face-Off – Compete and play games with your fellow users.
- Mirror Digital – Offers workouts on any device, so you can stay on track wherever you go.
Winner Workout Program Comparison
Mirror is the winner, because it offers more variation in classes.
Tonal vs. Mirror: The Winner
Which Fitness Mirror is the best overall?
This Tonal vs. Mirror review shows that Mirror is the superior fitness mirror. Find out the reasons why below.
- Mirror is easier to use.
- Mirror is the most versatile in terms of types of classes and workout programs.
Which Fitness Mirror is best for YOU?
Which Fitness Mirror is best for your Budget?
Tonal is way more expensive than Mirror.
Even if you compare Mirror’s most expensive package, Tonal is still more costly. But, let’s not only look at the price, but also consider what you’ll get when you buy the equipment.
Tonal is an all-in-one compact device. You not only get a fitness monitor, but also a built-in adjustable weight. With Mirror, you have to buy separate ‘smart weights.’ Without the smart weight, all you get with a mirror is to watch the videos and the limited metrics it offers.
Tonal and Mirror offers paid membership that you can share with your family. Both require a 1-year commitment. Tonal’s membership is more expensive than Mirror.
Tonal gives you a three-year warranty on parts and 1-year warranty on labor. While Mirror gives you a standard one-year warranty, you can purchase an extended warranty from their partner company.
Which Fitness Mirror is best for your Fitness Goals?
Tonal focuses on strength training, while Mirror focuses on endurance training. This is an obvious observation based on the console.
Tonal feels like a competition or game with achievement badges and leaderboards. Mirror leans toward group fitness with your coach or fellow users.
Which Fitness Mirror is best for your Fitness Level?
Mirror is great for beginners, because it is easier to set up and use.
Tonal is excellent for users who love various workout programs and are critical of their workout data. Tonal is more challenging, as it has instantaneous responses to your movement, adjusting the resistance.
FAQ about Tonal vs. Mirror
What is the difference between mirror and Tonal?
Although they are both smart fitness mirrors, Mirror and Tonal have some notable differences. Tonal focuses on strength training, while Mirror focuses on endurance training. This is an obvious observation based on the console. Also, Tonal is way more expensive than Mirror.
Is there anything better than Tonal?
The best home gym mirror for you depends on your fitness goals. But if Tonal does not fit your needs, there are plenty of other options available. Here are some alternatives: MIRROR, Tempo Studio, and Echelon Reflect.
Can you get ripped using Tonal?
Yes, Tonal is a smart fitness mirror with a digital weight system that delivers 200 pounds of resistance. You can also access exercise classes or workouts with a coach using the console. So you can get ripped using the Tonal provided that you follow the right routine and diet.
What to do next?
Smart Mirror is a big investment for your home gym. Don’t buy a fitness mirror without carefully checking your options. Make sure you get what you paid for with these devices. Always choose the decision that will make you happy in the long run.
For more insight, check out this home gym equipment guide.